Hello, I'm Katy!
Welcome to my website! If you're here, you likely have questions about how to improve your health and wellness and/or simplify your life. Thank you for your interest in learning more about me and how I might be able to help you! My vision is for each person that I serve is for them to be as healthy, joyful, and free* as possible. [*Free from the pain and suffering of chronic illness and other symptoms caused by the restrictive nature of modern living.]
I would love for you to get to know a bit about me and why I am so passionate about the work that I do. You can view my professional credentials here.
A bit about me...
- I'm originally from Ohio (Go Buckeyes!), but I have lived in Michigan, Florida, California, and Hawaii. I'm currently based in Maui, Hawaii and I work with clients locally, as well as all over the world.
- I have a 13-year-old cat named Leo and 5-year-old German Shepherd named Rio. Leo and Rio are my fur babies and I love them dearly.
- I have been diagnosed with 3 autoimmune diseases: Crohn's disease, psoriatic arthritis, and myasthenia gravis. The Crohn's disease diagnosis that I received 6 years ago is what initially led me to discover food as medicine. At the time, being diagnosed with autoimmune disease was one of the most traumatic events in my life, but I have come to see it as one of the greatest blessings that I have ever received.
- Growing up, my parents' owned a martial arts studio and I started training when I was a toddler. I have a 3rd degree black belt in Tae-Kwon-Do, although it has been a long time since I practiced regularly.
- In my early 20s, I was addicted to exercise. After being diagnosed with autoimmune disease, I was forced to slow down and that put me on the path to discovering primal movement. I love primal movement because it is accessible to nearly everyone that has a human body--including those that are suffering with autoimmunity or other chronic diseases.
- I follow a Paleo/Primal diet that includes humanely and sustainably raised meat, seafood, vegetables, nuts, seeds, healthy fats, and fruit. Throughout my own healing journey, I was on many different healing diets, most notably the Paleo Autoimmune Protocol (AIP). I have since been able to make most reintroductions and resume a general Paleo diet, although the AIP is always my baseline when I'm not feeling well.
- I discovered minimalism during my quest to reduce the stress of managing my wardrobe. A friend of mine suggested looking into the capsule wardrobe concept, which put me on the path to minimalism!
- When I'm not coaching clients toward better health and wellness, cooking, surfing, hanging on the beach, or hiking gorgeous Maui, I am practicing photography. You can view my photography work here.
- A guiding principle by which I try to live my life is "Be the Light", based on Matthew 5:14.