I came up with this recipe by accident one day when I didn't feel like another trip out to the store. I had all of the ingredients on hand and a hash sounded good as a side for dinner that day. What I discovered is that all of these flavors really combine well together. And everything tastes better with a little bit of bacon :) ! This works well as a side for lunch or dinner or as an alternative to eggs in the morning for breakfast.
3 slices of bacon
1 apple (I used melrose, but you can use any variety that cooks well), diced into 1/2 in. pieces
1/2 head of cauliflower, separated into small flowerets
1/2 pound of brussel sprouts, halved
Salt and pepper- To taste
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Using a skillet (preferably oven-safe), cook bacon over medium heat until browned. Remove from skillet and chop into 1/2 pieces. Set aside.
3. Combine the remaining ingredients in the skillet with the leftover bacon grease. If necessary, add more lard to assist with cooking. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
4. Add chopped bacon to the skillet and place in the oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes until slightly browned.
5. Add salt and pepper to taste.